It has been a difficult year for Bollywood, as the industry loses yet another star, a veteran actor and comedian Jagdeep Jaffrey. He passed away at the age of 81 on 8th of July 2020 in Mumbai.
He did more than 400 films, gained popularity by his character name “Soorma Bhopali” from film Sholay because of his brilliant comic timings and acting craft. Jagadeep has left a legacy for the entire generation to look upon.
As a tribute to the veteran actor, we bring the lesser known realities of Jagdeep Jaffrey.
- The actor began his journey in the film industry as a child artist in B R Chopra’s film Afsana and later on became a known personality.
- His real name is Syed Ishtiaq Ahmed Jafrrey and he was born in Datia, Madhya Pradesh on 29th March 1939.
- He got married thrice,1st wife named as Naseem Begam, having 3 children from her named as Hussain Jaffrey, Shakira Shafi and Suraiya. He got the real breakthrough his role in the film Brahmachari.
- He then got married to his 2nd wife named Sughra, had sons with her who became Popular as actor Javed Jaffrey and Naved Jaffrey,
- Jagdeep’s third Wife Nazima is 33 yrs younger than him; they have a daughter named Muskaan.
- Nazima along with her younger sister actually came to see Jagdeep’s son Naved with a marriage proposal, but Naved declined the offer as he was still finding his space in the film industry. Jagdeep found himself attracted to the elder sister Nazima, that’s how they met.
- He was launched as a leading man by AVM in the films Barkha and Bindaya, and went on to do a few more films as a leading man.
- He also directed the movie named after his character in Sholay i.e Soorma Bhopali,
- India’s First Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru was so impressed by Jagdeep’s work in Hum Panchi ek Dal ke that he gift is personal staff to him.
- Jagdeeps’s was last seen in film ‘Masti Nahi Sasti’ (2017) co-starring Johny Lever, Ravi Kishan, Shakti Kapoor, Kader Khan and others.
May his soul rest in Peace!!